Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Riding in the Yukon - 2013

On June 19th, my birthday, I left Fort Nelson BC, and headed towards Watson Lake YT.

There had been so much game out. I saw Stone Mountain Sheep, goats, moose, bear and buffalo along with a couple of caribou…it was an utterly picture perfect day. 21C, blue sky and PERFECT. It was the kind of day that every rider dreams of.  The roads were in good shape until about 150 KMs outside of Watson.  There were three major construction spots. Nothing horrible though and the waits were not long at all.

I had met up with an American rider from Florida named Nick the day before - he had run out of gas and I had siphoned some of the gas out of my tank to limp him into Fort Nelson the night before and I ran into him again about an hour out of Fort Nelson.  He and I rode together until Watson Lake, he proceeded on to Nugget City to camp for the night and I stayed at the Stampeder Bed & Breakfast and Cabins, which is run by a Swiss couple. The cabin I was in is huge and can easily sleep 4 people. The bed was comfortable; there was lots of hot water for the shower – great pressure…all in all thoroughly enjoyable.

My Cabin
My Cabin
Breakfast was toast, yogurt and cereal with juice
Inside the cabin
Inside the cabin
and coffee.  I enjoyed the chat I had over breakfast with a couple from Great Britain who were staying in the other cabin and Peter the owner.  Soon it was time to pack up the bike and head for Whitehorse.


STAMPEDER'S B&B Cabins – Yukon (Yukon Tourism recommended accommodations)
Box 231/606 Adela Trail
Watson Lake, YT
Y0A 1C0 Canada
Phone#: 867 536 2157
Email: stampeders@northwestel.net
http://stampederscabins.webs.com

At the bridge just outside of Watson Lake there was a 20-minute delay to cross it and they are rebuilding the bridge deck. A short 22 KM jaunt up the highway and I was at Nugget City. Linda and Scott had worked late and so they were not up at 9 AM. I had a coffee and Rita had here photo taken at the Northern Beaver Post, I chatted with Nick in the parking lot for a bit and wished him a safe journey and I was off again. 

Next stop – Rancheria.

Last spring, there was a flood that wiped out Rancheria’s water system that generates their power. A generator in these parts is a costly thing to run, Linda Bouchard, the owner expressed that
during the summer last year, it cost over $10,000 a month to provide electricity to their 2 motels, the cabins, the gas pumps and the restaurant.

Rancheria is one of those places that every truck driver and bus tour that comes down the Alcan Highway stops at. The food and the hospitality are the driving forces behind that. The staff is so friendly and so eager to help and please and their food while simple and down to earth is flavorful and plentiful.

After a hug and a photo op for Rita, we were off again. Next stop, Teslin and the Yukon Motel for fuel. 

This place is nutso busy. The food at this place is comprised of generous, flavorful portions and served up by staff that love their jobs – or at least that is the impression one gets from those you deal with.

After fueling up with regular gas that is priced at 
$1.54 per litre (HighTest which is very suspect here in the Yukon is $1.69 and hence why I run Amsoil Octane Boost in my bike), I headed for my next stop and the first event of the Conga, Yukon Motorcycle Centre.



I stayed at the Stampeder

No comments:

Post a Comment